You are not logged in.

#1 2017-03-20 23:02:47

macdarren

New User Question about slicing...

Thanks to the Author of nanoDLP, it seems like a great tool once I figure it all out.

I am new to nanoDLP, in fact I am new to resin type printing but I have done a good amount of FDM style printing on my home built FDM printer.  I figured I would jump into Resin printing to learn something new.  I haven't gotten my printer totally going yet but I have been playing with using nanoDLP as the upper level control, interfaced to some lower level stepper control even though as I understand it could probably use nanoDLP for all of it.

Anyway my question is about slicing for resin prints...It seems like many people print 'solid' parts, others do open shells or some sort of infill or supported shell like the FDM guys.  All of my current models are STLs that are solid shapes and typically I use the slicing program to adjust the interior space as hollow or some percentage infill...I would like to do the same with the resin prints to save material costs...I realize drain holes will probably also be a part of this process....NanoDLP's built in slicer does not seem to have the idea of infill or at least I can't find it...It seems to want to make everything solid.  I hollowed out a model using MeshMixer...saved it as an SVG file and verified it was hollow in openscad by cutting a block out of it so I could see the inside, but when I had nanoDLP slice it the layers all look solid to me...

Is there a way to hollow or infill things using nanoDLP directly (I sure hope so as using yet another app in my workflow is a pain)?
was there a problem in my approach that caused nanoDLP fill my object?

Thanks
Darren

#2 2017-03-20 23:32:39

Shahin
Administrator

Re: New User Question about slicing...

NanoDLP currently does not hallow parts
But if you have manually hallowour prints it should not display them filled. Could you share STL file you are talking about?

#3 2017-03-21 00:54:41

macdarren

Okay I think I have my manually hollowed model working...previous problem was probably clueless user error

I have a few other questions...

Is there a way to rotate objects on the slicer in fixed increments or see the rotation numerically....
I want to better align my slices but it is hard to get things right just looking at a screen.

Second when I create a new plate and add with supports I enter the support and layout area, but
after I add the supports I do not seem able to return to the plate with the now supported model.
I seem to have to export and re add...would have thought save did that?

Also should I be able to create new support types?  It seems like I can..I get a dialog box
that I can fill out to make the support but saving it doesn't seem to add them to the support types list.

Can I position models (aside from Z and rotation) on the build area?
Can I add more than one model or do I need to group them in a single STL?

Thanks for the help....I am really liking things so far..hopefully I can get my printer ready and try the real thing soon
Darren

#4 2017-03-21 09:31:45

Shahin
Administrator

I have a plan to add platting mode to the support generator application also will add rotation and etc. If you press save instead of export you should see a plate add screen, try it and let me know if has any issue.

You should see 2d preview of support and by pressing add it must add support to list of available support types. Please provide screenshot if it has any issue.
Adding more than a model will require platting function which we still do not have.

#5 2017-03-21 19:46:26

macdarren

okay...glad to hear plating/rotation is coming....I have a hard time with the visual rotation...

The issue with the "add with support" I think is another new user error, or at least it seems to work now...I guess I expected it to come back
through the add without support dialog...but I see it creates an unnamed plate that you can then click edit to get to name it and set other parameters...

The adding supports types does not seem to work for me....I have links to two snapshots one before I click add and one after...maybe I am doing something
with this narrow support that is not really acceptable..I wasn't going for something that I knew worked only something different from the supplied basics,
but so far no attempt to add a new type of support has stuck.

edit a new support:      https://www.dropbox.com/s/7tmo5hhc6g1nb … M.jpg?dl=0

after I click add:           https://www.dropbox.com/s/9ql36nlnkt2yh … M.jpg?dl=0

as you can see no new 'type' was created

Thanks
Darren

P.S. using OS X and safari if that matters...I will try again with Firefox just to be sure it is not a weird apple browser thing.

#6 2017-03-21 21:39:24

Shahin
Administrator

Darren,

Probably it something to do with safari, support function is using webgl which is pretty complex so only use firefox and chrome.

#7 2017-03-21 22:11:03

macdarren

hmmmm same support issue with Firefox 52.0.1 64bit

maybe this is another user error...when I click add the dialog just goes away and I don't see the new type...do I need to refresh something or log in and out or maybe start a new support session?

#8 2017-03-21 22:13:08

macdarren

Interesting ....  If I click add support type again after the dialog box goes away I get a new dialog box with all my previous parameters entered....
It is like the 'add' button just hides the dialog box

#9 2017-03-21 22:18:17

Shahin
Administrator

Open firefox/chrome inspect tool, choose console tab and try add a new support. See if it throws any error.

#10 2017-03-21 22:30:46

macdarren

Error in parsing value for ‘-webkit-text-size-adjust’.  Declaration dropped.  bootstrap.min.css:7:141
Unknown pseudo-class or pseudo-element ‘-webkit-inner-spin-button’.  Ruleset ignored due to bad selector.  bootstrap.min.css:7:1544
Unknown pseudo-class or pseudo-element ‘-webkit-search-cancel-button’.  Ruleset ignored due to bad selector.  bootstrap.min.css:7:1784
Unknown property ‘orphans’.  Declaration dropped.  bootstrap.min.css:7:2720
Unknown property ‘widows’.  Declaration dropped.  bootstrap.min.css:7:2729
Expected color but found ‘auto’.  Expected color but found ‘-webkit-focus-ring-color’.  Expected end of value but found ‘-webkit-focus-ring-color’.  Error in parsing value for ‘outline’.  Declaration dropped.  bootstrap.min.css:7:15650
Expected end of value but found ‘\9 ’.  Error in parsing value for ‘margin-top’.  Declaration dropped.  bootstrap.min.css:7:35574
Expected color but found ‘auto’.  Expected color but found ‘-webkit-focus-ring-color’.  Expected end of value but found ‘-webkit-focus-ring-color’.  Error in parsing value for ‘outline’.  Declaration dropped.  bootstrap.min.css:7:35828
Unknown pseudo-class or pseudo-element ‘-ms-input-placeholder’.  Ruleset ignored due to bad selector.  bootstrap.min.css:7:36774
Unknown pseudo-class or pseudo-element ‘-webkit-input-placeholder’.  Ruleset ignored due to bad selector.  bootstrap.min.css:7:36825
Expected media feature name but found ‘-webkit-min-device-pixel-ratio’.  bootstrap.min.css:7:37098
Expected end of value but found ‘\9 ’.  Error in parsing value for ‘margin-top’.  Declaration dropped.  bootstrap.min.css:7:38232
Unknown property ‘user-select’.  Declaration dropped.  bootstrap.min.css:7:45063
Expected color but found ‘auto’.  Expected color but found ‘-webkit-focus-ring-color’.  Expected end of value but found ‘-webkit-focus-ring-color’.  Error in parsing value for ‘outline’.  Declaration dropped.  bootstrap.min.css:7:45195
Expected ‘none’, URL, or filter function but found ‘alpha(’.  Error in parsing value for ‘filter’.  Declaration dropped.  bootstrap.min.css:7:45579
Expected ‘none’, URL, or filter function but found ‘progid’.  Error in parsing value for ‘filter’.  Declaration dropped.  bootstrap.min.css:7:54891
Error in parsing value for ‘background-image’.  Declaration dropped.  bootstrap.min.css:7:83929
Error in parsing value for ‘background-image’.  Declaration dropped.  bootstrap.min.css:7:84864
Error in parsing value for ‘background-image’.  Declaration dropped.  bootstrap.min.css:7:85520
Error in parsing value for ‘background-image’.  Declaration dropped.  bootstrap.min.css:7:86182
Error in parsing value for ‘background-image’.  Declaration dropped.  bootstrap.min.css:7:86842
Unknown property ‘zoom’.  Declaration dropped.  bootstrap.min.css:7:87282
Error in parsing value for ‘border-top-right-radius’.  Declaration dropped.  bootstrap.min.css:7:91735
Error in parsing value for ‘border-top-left-radius’.  Declaration dropped.  bootstrap.min.css:7:91761
Error in parsing value for ‘border-bottom-right-radius’.  Declaration dropped.  bootstrap.min.css:7:92119
Error in parsing value for ‘border-bottom-left-radius’.  Declaration dropped.  bootstrap.min.css:7:92148
Error in parsing value for ‘border-top-right-radius’.  Declaration dropped.  bootstrap.min.css:7:92517
Error in parsing value for ‘border-top-left-radius’.  Declaration dropped.  bootstrap.min.css:7:92543
Error in parsing value for ‘border-bottom-right-radius’.  Declaration dropped.  bootstrap.min.css:7:92721
Error in parsing value for ‘border-bottom-left-radius’.  Declaration dropped.  bootstrap.min.css:7:92750
Error in parsing value for ‘border-top-right-radius’.  Declaration dropped.  bootstrap.min.css:7:93208
Error in parsing value for ‘border-top-left-radius’.  Declaration dropped.  bootstrap.min.css:7:93234
Error in parsing value for ‘border-top-left-radius’.  Declaration dropped.  bootstrap.min.css:7:93556
Error in parsing value for ‘border-top-right-radius’.  Declaration dropped.  bootstrap.min.css:7:93583
Error in parsing value for ‘border-top-left-radius’.  Declaration dropped.  bootstrap.min.css:7:94321
Error in parsing value for ‘border-top-right-radius’.  Declaration dropped.  bootstrap.min.css:7:95052
Error in parsing value for ‘border-bottom-right-radius’.  Declaration dropped.  bootstrap.min.css:7:95161
Error in parsing value for ‘border-bottom-left-radius’.  Declaration dropped.  bootstrap.min.css:7:95190
Error in parsing value for ‘border-bottom-left-radius’.  Declaration dropped.  bootstrap.min.css:7:95501
Error in parsing value for ‘border-bottom-right-radius’.  Declaration dropped.  bootstrap.min.css:7:95531
Error in parsing value for ‘border-bottom-left-radius’.  Declaration dropped.  bootstrap.min.css:7:96244
Error in parsing value for ‘border-bottom-right-radius’.  Declaration dropped.  bootstrap.min.css:7:96950
Expected ‘none’, URL, or filter function but found ‘alpha(’.  Error in parsing value for ‘filter’.  Declaration dropped.  bootstrap.min.css:7:103262
Expected ‘none’, URL, or filter function but found ‘alpha(’.  Error in parsing value for ‘filter’.  Declaration dropped.  bootstrap.min.css:7:103375
Expected ‘none’, URL, or filter function but found ‘alpha(’.  Error in parsing value for ‘filter’.  Declaration dropped.  bootstrap.min.css:7:104561
Expected ‘none’, URL, or filter function but found ‘alpha(’.  Error in parsing value for ‘filter’.  Declaration dropped.  bootstrap.min.css:7:104616
Expected ‘none’, URL, or filter function but found ‘alpha(’.  Error in parsing value for ‘filter’.  Declaration dropped.  bootstrap.min.css:7:105609
Expected ‘none’, URL, or filter function but found ‘alpha(’.  Error in parsing value for ‘filter’.  Declaration dropped.  bootstrap.min.css:7:105657
Error in parsing value for ‘border-radius’.  Declaration dropped.  bootstrap.min.css:7:107738
Expected media feature name but found ‘transform-3d’.  bootstrap.min.css:7:109217
Error in parsing value for ‘-webkit-perspective’.  Declaration dropped.  bootstrap.min.css:7:109491
Error in parsing value for ‘perspective’.  Declaration dropped.  bootstrap.min.css:7:109508
Expected ‘none’, URL, or filter function but found ‘alpha(’.  Error in parsing value for ‘filter’.  Declaration dropped.  bootstrap.min.css:7:110462
Error in parsing value for ‘background-image’.  Declaration dropped.  bootstrap.min.css:7:110696
Expected ‘none’, URL, or filter function but found ‘progid’.  Error in parsing value for ‘filter’.  Declaration dropped.  bootstrap.min.css:7:110996
Error in parsing value for ‘background-image’.  Declaration dropped.  bootstrap.min.css:7:111257
Expected ‘none’, URL, or filter function but found ‘progid’.  Error in parsing value for ‘filter’.  Declaration dropped.  bootstrap.min.css:7:111557
Expected ‘none’, URL, or filter function but found ‘alpha(’.  Error in parsing value for ‘filter’.  Declaration dropped.  bootstrap.min.css:7:111780
Expected end of value but found ‘\9 ’.  Error in parsing value for ‘background-color’.  Declaration dropped.  bootstrap.min.css:7:112757
Unknown pseudo-class or pseudo-element ‘-ms-input-placeholder’.  Ruleset ignored due to bad selector.  support.css:176:15
Unknown pseudo-class or pseudo-element ‘-webkit-input-placeholder’.  Ruleset ignored due to bad selector.  support.css:179:15
Unknown property ‘margint-top’.  Declaration dropped.

Possible of no importance but the next time I click add support type I get the same dialog box but clicking add generates no errors..maybe something is too crashed at that point.
Going out of the support view and back in and trying again I get similar error sequence.

Last edited by macdarren (2017-03-21 22:36:25)

#11 2017-03-21 22:47:49

Shahin
Administrator

None of errors above are important.
Strange nobody else reporting similar issue. Have you tried reset default button? Maybe old data cause the issue.

Everything looks fine on your display. I have another guess maybe it something to do with localStorage support on your browsers. Do you have anything on your system prevent browser from using localStorage (antivirus, security extension, private tab)?

#12 2017-03-21 22:49:10

macdarren

sort of a new maybe related issue is that often when I use supports (even the standard types) I see huge negative number for the layers ( maybe an overflow issue?)...the result is a "corrupted plate" error after much crunching,

This doesn't happen all the time but frequently...and I have seen it in both safari and now Firefox.

same model file with no supports worked fine with 900 layers...If you want to try it your self here is a link to the model I am using....already rotated to fit my small x/y printer

https://www.dropbox.com/s/18n06rq8zexnh … 0.stl?dl=0

#13 2017-03-21 22:52:31

macdarren

no nothing of that nature on my Mac

#14 2017-03-21 22:54:58

Shahin
Administrator

Could you provide screenshots or log for mentioned negative layer numbers?

#15 2017-03-21 22:56:59

macdarren

screen shot of negative layers:  https://www.dropbox.com/s/j3l1oeed36cnq … M.jpg?dl=0

here is the 3d view....pardon the rotation I could not seem to get it right but of course the supports were not on the side but could get a good view no matter how I tried.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rk8ba27pnro48 … M.jpg?dl=0

Last edited by macdarren (2017-03-21 23:00:26)

#16 2017-03-21 22:59:28

Shahin
Administrator

Attach STL file available on URL http://rasperry_pi_ip/static/plates/9/plate.stl

#17 2017-03-21 23:02:57

macdarren

#18 2017-03-21 23:12:06

Shahin
Administrator

STL files get processed correctly here. Which build you are using? Have you tried editing available support types? Are they fails too?

#19 2017-03-21 23:16:20

macdarren

it says Build 1370 on the screen....I just installed this on a clean minimal raspian on the Pi last week...I think I used the standard setup not beta or anything.

Last edited by macdarren (2017-03-21 23:16:51)

#20 2017-03-22 03:36:47

macdarren

Update:

Interestingly if I create a new plate with he 'plate.stil' that I uploaded which was copied up from the Pi in the first place I get a good slice...so I am thinking this big negative layer number comes from using the support generator then clicking save and returning to the Plate list..somehow it must be not getting the right STL...maybe some sort of race between the slicer and the support builder?

#21 2017-03-22 08:07:16

Shahin
Administrator

I gone through codes, I think clicking save more than once could cause the STL corruption issue. I have pushed a new beta version let me know if the problem still persists.
About adding support type, still could not find any clue what is wrong. If you had time teamviewer will be helpful.

#22 2017-03-22 08:54:20

macdarren

we can perhaps do a team viewer session in the next day or so....

I created a new flash card for my pi from the image instead of using the manual install, then updated, but not change.
I will do an update to the latest beta and give it a try.

side question, is there any way to see the time a print will require with out actually choosing to print it?

#23 2017-03-22 09:54:26

Shahin
Administrator

Support generator issue is completely on javascript side so no need to install nanodlp itself just updating will be enough.

Have you tried editing existing support types? Also try add support type without adding STL file. Empty browser cache too.

I would love to have time for each plate in plates page, it will be quite useful. I do not have any idea how we could estimate time as we do not know how much time it will take to run gcode or other customizable parts.
Post a new topic, maybe someone could suggest a good way to handle it.

#24 2017-03-22 15:38:34

macdarren

updated to 1373....had to manually reboot the pi, as it hung up...so not sure that is a good sign but it seems to have updated.

I did try making a new support type, even used a different machine so caches is clear and to rule out my computer...still the same result.
still getting corrupted plates...not seeing the big negative layer count now..log says the slice completed then some time later the plate page shows it is corrupted.

For teamviewer ... what time can work for you...I am in US Pacific time..I could probably set something up around 12 noon my time or later.

The print page gives an ETA, minutes to print....just having that on the plate screen would be useful.

as to how to calculate this....It seems a rough estimate of a plate would be exposure time + any wait times+wipe time+z movement time...I just assumed this is what was shown in the printing screen.
I know it can't be perfect without detailed machine info....same is true with FDM g-code estimates however they seem pretty close when using a fast machine or are at least useful for comparison.  I guess since XY times are mostly the same on this type of printer layer count is mostly comparable. still a general time estimate would be nice...I will post a new topic on that.

#25 2017-03-22 15:58:40

Shahin
Administrator

Time estimate on dashboard is average of the last 10 layers. So it is not applicable for other plates.

Send me an email shahin at nanodlp.com so we could do teamviewer.

Board footer