You are not logged in.

#1 2017-02-02 01:49:44

ljkoren

noob---forgive me im 48 years old

Can someone help me install nanodlp on a raspberry pi. Ive spent all day and cant seem to get it done.
I got rasbian jessie loaded and pixel and the pi works fine.
i loaded nanodlp.img on to a sandisk 16 and 32  using several different types of programs(unetbootin, win32)  but no success. i close down the pi, take out the sd, put in the sd with nanodlp on it, and power on.
the program seems to be loaded tons of lines, then the screen goes black. if i hit enter after a few minutes it says something about deleting libraries files.

#2 2017-02-02 02:10:53

bigfilsing

Re: noob---forgive me im 48 years old

You are forgiven ....Im 57
And forgive me if im telling you something you already know !
The screen should go blank after NanoDLP installs . It is what is commonly known as a headless install = it does not support a screen attached for OS info ( of course it later drives the HDMI output to a DLP 3D printer) It is only accessible via a web browser.
To be honest i have never installed NanoDLP on a working Linux distro I always use the "pre installed" ISO  I then hook up the Raspi to power and my network with a Cat5 cable Then I access my router to see which IP address the Raspi has been given ( assuming your router is using DHCP)
Then use that IP address in my browser to access NanoDLP
You need to allow enough time for it to install completely ...
Good luck

#3 2017-02-02 14:54:41

ljkoren

thanks, based on that info i probably have installed it 5 times over. now to figure out the rest....

#4 2017-02-02 21:00:57

ljkoren

good news bad news.
ok I got it working!!!! Thanks!!!

bad news

I have an Arduino mega with a ramps board on it and 5 polulu stepper drivers. my printer z axis is run on a stepper nema 17.
I may or may not have fried a lot of it on the last project, but before I started this one I tested and was able to get one of the stepper locations to run the motor.

I loaded the muve marlin software on the board and tested the usb connection to make sure I have it listed right in the nanodlp. but cant seem to get anything moving.
whats the easiest way to connect up a z drive stepper for this? direct to pi, or direct to Arduino or......
does it matter if I have steppers instead of servo?
any help appreciated. Thanks

#5 2017-02-03 01:45:54

bigfilsing

Im a bit confused by your latest post !  " Does it matter if i have steppers instead of servo"
You only need 1 stepper and it is to drive the Z axis.
A servo can be used for the shutter and maybe a tilt/peel function if you have it.
If you are using a ramps board you should remove the stepper drivers from X ,Y E0 & E1 as they have no function Just leave Z ( of course)
If you want to test your ramps in stand alone mode you can upload the test firmware to see which axis are working and which not.
You can get the Ramps test firmware here  http://reprap.org/wiki/File:RAMPS14_test.zip
WHen loaded it basically runs the stepper motors backwards and forwards and pulses the extruder heater and bed output without any input needed from the user.
Very useful as a quick way of seeing if your ramps board ( and stepper driver chips) are working ok
Good luck

Last edited by bigfilsing (2017-02-03 01:47:10)

#6 2017-03-03 21:13:14

ljkoren1

Ok mechanically i believe it is all working now, that was a battle, i hate these arduino ramps set ups.

when i go to z axis i only get a "tick"
i have a nema 17 and a threaded rod z axis that is 18 turns per inch. (old solidoodle) 200 steps (3600 steps per turn, 57,600 per inch) maybe this is my issue.
the ramps board has all three jumpers so it should be 16 per step
what setting should i have on the set up screen for     microstep, lead screw pitch,       z axis height (6" x 25.4 = 152.4?)
i dont have any endstops (limit switches) connected.

also any idea what the polulu step stick pot should be at for 1/16? i think i remember .8v but not sure. its at 1.1 right now. getting closer finally!

#7 2017-03-04 04:06:28

bigfilsing

Hi.  The pot controls the stepper motor current regardless of which microstep jumpers are installed. 0.8 VDC sounds about right There is a very slight chance you have a step stick with a different shunt resistor ( used to allow us to read an amperage as a voltage) that has a different conversion factor. Apparently some of the Polulu clone manufacturers decided to change that years ago for some unknown reason.

My best guess is that because you dont have an end stop installed, the firmware sees the endstop as "triggered" and so wont move The other thing is that most firmware needs each axis ( in our case only Z) to be homed before any other input is accepted
As such it will only allow movement in the home direction until it triggers the end stop. It kind of makes sense because at power up the firmware has no idea what position the axis is in so needs to see the home endstop triggered before anything else.

Endstops usually use the NC ( normally closed) contacts for safety's sake. so with no endstop fitted the circuit is "open" so it considers the endstop as triggered. Be careful you identify the terminals correctly and dont short out the 5VDC on the ramps 

I don't have access to my printer right now so cant help with the settings sorry

If i were you i would load the test firmware and getting the stepper motor working and the current set up first. Remember to put the axis in its mid way position because the test firmware moves the motor backwards and forwards regardless of the axis starting point   
i usually approach it in this order
get the motor moving
set the current
set the direction
set the homing direction
set the end stop logic

Good luck

Board footer