You are not logged in.

#1 2017-01-29 22:55:57

mondo50m

Hello all!!!

Hi everybody.  My name is Milton Maxson and I live in Florida.  I own 5 3d filament printers and have decided that I want to build an LCD daylight printer.  Well, I have one part finished, the LCD panel and the led matrix to make the back lighting strong enough to cure the resin.  I works fine.  Now, my problem is figuring out how to run the Z axis using the Raspberry PI3.  Has anyone done this that can give any insight on how to wire up the A4988 stepper driver to the PI to control the Z axis?  I am not a programmer, I am a 66 year old tinkerer who enjoys building things that I want.  I am using NANODLP to control the LCD display.  I just need help in getting the stepper wired up and set to work with NANODLP.  I can burn my own circuit boards if needed.  Any help would be appreciated.  I have seen many examples of this working, but no one has yet to share how they are making it work.  Thanks in advance.

Last edited by mondo50m (2017-01-29 22:56:52)

#2 2017-01-30 02:09:24

bigfilsing

Re: Hello all!!!

Hi
You may also want to consider the following. Not only do you need to control a stepper driver but also the Z home position end stop ( micro switch) and shutter / LED on-off.  In consideration of these 3 functions it makes good economic sense to use a simple FDM control board like a ramps 1.4 that communicates over a serial link with the RasPi.  Gcode commands are supported in NanoDLP so controlling your machine is quite straightforward. Added to which you have easy access to micro stepping etc.
With a clone Ramps1.4 & Mega combo costing around 10USD i cant see you being able to find a more cost effective solution.

IF you really want to do direct control take a look at https://www.nanodlp.com/download/  ( scroll down to about half way ! )
This even gives a PCB design layout
Good luck

#3 2017-01-30 02:44:48

mondo50m

Thanks for your quick reply, I will look at the link.

#4 2017-01-31 21:17:46

color

Hello Milton,
As I know the better way to control stepper motor is using Ramps board instead of direct control via RasPi. I have a mUVe 3D printer, it is open source and you may check on mUVe web site how to wire Raspberry, Arduino, Ramps and stepper drivers.

Board footer