You are not logged in.

#1 2016-12-29 22:22:36

Stan Ziberna

Update to Build 1318 Broke my printer. Help Needed.

I have just updated to nanoDLP 1318. I have hardware on the way to measure UVA intensity and I am looking forward to using the new mask generator in this build.
Unfortunately, I have also adopted the following problems:

1) Uploading SVG file causes corrupted plate. Always, with different files and also using different files that uploaded fine and I printed them before updating.

2) Starting a print Crashes Pi when projecting the first slice

3) Using the following buttons on the calibration tab in nanoDLP crashes Pi:

-Full HD Calibration
    -Full HD Red Calibration
    -Dynamic Calibration
    -Boundaries
    -Full White

Things to note:

-An STL file of the same model that crashed as SVG uploaded and sliced successfully
-Shutter Open and Close work fine
-Projector On and Off work fine
-All movement functions work fine

Seems everything that sends an image to the projector crashes the Pi.

#2 2016-12-29 23:03:11

Shahin
Administrator

Re: Update to Build 1318 Broke my printer. Help Needed.

Stan,

Upgrade to the latest version and let me know if the issue persists.

#3 2016-12-31 16:31:33

Stan Ziberna

Updated Pi to Build 1322.

Pi no longer crashes with projected image.

Did not yet test uploading plate from SVG.  Update: Upload of SVG is quick and painless once again. Thanks.

Slight oddity is occurring...

-After Peel the plate returns to original layer (as normal)
-The plate lifts Z height for next layer and Shutter opens. (The shutter opening here is odd) Normally the pause in my GCode of 1 sec does this then the shutter opens.
-Pause (This is exposing ambient light that the shutter should be masking out)
-The current layer image is projected. (Usually, the shutter opens here than projects almost instantaneously)
-The shutter closes.

Thanks...

*****Update January 1, 2017      Happy New Year!!!!!

I have new info from today to add to the oddity mentioned earlier.  The shutter opening and then a pause before a projected image appears is also happening on the "Projector Calibration" tab of nanodlp.

This happens on the following buttons:

-Dynamic Calibration
-Dynamic Red Calib.
-Boundaries
-Full White

No Pause with the following buttons:
-Full HD Calibration
-Full HD Red Calib.

Looks like this small bug is hiding in the newer "Dynamic" Feature utilization code.

Last edited by Stan Ziberna (2017-01-01 23:32:31)

#4 2017-01-02 22:37:14

Stan Ziberna

I have spent the day using the Mask Generator in build 1322.

Problem is, I don't know what to do after hitting the save button.

-Where does the new mask save?

The instructions say it is set as the default mask.  I have removed the old mask so that one does not currently exist. I then save the mask and the old default is back instead of the new one I wish to generate.

I know I am missing something but after a day of measuring UV readings from above my projector, my mind and eyes are a little frazzled. NOTE: Make sure you are wearing a good pair of Polarized UVA-blocking sunglasses!

#5 2017-01-02 23:07:57

Shahin
Administrator

Stan,

Dynamic calibration images get generated as soon as you press button so I expect some delay between shutter open and image display, as creating images will take more time thandisplaying fullhd images which are already in PNG format. But you should not experience same type of behaviour for normal plates.

Are you sure it is the old mask file? I guess your browser cached the previous mask file so you could see it but the new one replaced that. Usually chrome caching files more aggressively.

#6 2017-01-03 00:00:37

Stan Ziberna

Thanks.... Clearing  the browser cache did the trick.  Going to have to try and generate the mask again since it looks way too dark.  Very blocky as well. Was expecting a smoother blended image.

While I was using the UV sensor I noticed that if I made small movements in any direction the reading would change.  For each light box in the grid. Do I move the sensor around to find the highest reading within that section or only concentrate on the very center of the light box?

Also, I can see now from your explanation why there would be a pause a Dynamic projected image. I am not currently using any of the "Dynamic" features and am uploading my plate as SVG files as a "normal plate" (At least I think I am since I am using the same procedure).
Because of this I should not be seeing the "Dynamic Image" pause but I am.

#7 2017-01-03 00:16:15

Shahin
Administrator

Due to performance reasons blurring happens after save and not on preview screen.
From software implementation point center is where rendering is happening.

I doubt it is something to do with nanodlp itself delays could be related to your gcode settings. After couple of layers, go to setup page/ tools tab/ press debug button and share the debug file.

#8 2017-01-03 01:30:06

Stan Ziberna

Yes, in the preview screen the mask is shown as blocks and after saving the same block image can be seen in the Setup/Projector Mask tab.

I will run the scan again and only concentrate on the center of the box.

Not sure how my gcode settings could be causing this. All code is "factory default" and has not been changed. Only the nanodlp update has been applied.

#9 2017-01-03 06:36:11

Shahin
Administrator

If you are sure settings have not changed. I need to go through your debug details to know what happening. I am not sure what could have caused this issue.

#10 2017-01-04 00:20:09

Stan Ziberna

Well, I have and would like to share the debug detail you asked for but this forum does not seem to support this.

#11 2017-01-04 03:32:05

Shahin
Administrator

Use attachment menu at top left of the forum. Or directly email it to me.

#12 2017-01-05 23:24:48

Stan Ziberna

Sorry for the delay, I have spent the last two and a half days trying to balance out UV projection.  Thanks for working on this Mask Feature. It would have been a lot harder to do without it.

I like the idea of being able to print multiple small parts on one build plate. Although I am not to happy that my cure time has gone from 2 seconds to 12 per layer. Oh well...

Here is the debug file, hope there is something in it to suggest why the shutter opens before the  "Z Lift to next layer" and "1 second pause" completes.
nanodlp.debug.-285651373.zip

#13 2017-01-06 00:04:34

Shahin
Administrator

You have 2s wait before layer print which is causing the mentioned delay.

#14 2017-01-06 02:04:58

Stan Ziberna

Yes, you are absolutely correct. A total of 2 seconds of pause time.

The first second comes from the default "GCODE Before Each Layer" code here:

M650 D2 S{([[LayerNumber]]>11)*0.75+0.25}
M651
G4 P1000
G1 Z[[LayerPosition]]
[[WaitForDoneMessage]]
[[PositionSet [[LayerPosition]]]]

As far as I remember this factory default pause is to allow for resin to escape from under the print when the build plate returns from the peel/lift movement.

The second pause is from the "Wait Before Print" also a factory default setting.  Which, was explained to allow the resin to settle back under the print before next layer is exposed.

I have removed each 1 sec pause and both at the same time.  The shutter still opens before the image is projected.

Last edited by Stan Ziberna (2017-01-06 02:05:28)

#15 2017-01-06 02:26:01

Shahin
Administrator

What kind of shutter are you using? How much delay we are talking about? Where is it wired to?
You have both direct servo control and gcode servo support enabled which is probably wrong if you are not using two shutter.

Board footer