You are not logged in.

#1 2021-01-08 17:27:06

Jonners59

How do I access headless nanoDLP using a terminal

Sorry, I am new to all this and come across a problem.  I am being asked to run some commands on my nanoDLP, but it is in a printer and is headless (like me really).

My PC is a Linux running xfce4, but Ubuntu cmds work the same.  I have tried opening a terminal on my PC and running the cmd

ssh pi@"IP ADDRESS"

where "IP ADDRESS" is the address of the printer (nanoDLP build #4239 on a Pi4B), but all I get is

access denied

or

****** port 22: Connection refused

Can someone please tell me what I am doing wrong and how to fix it.  Been Googling for hours now and can't believe it can be this complex.

Last edited by Jonners59 (2021-01-08 17:33:27)

Jonners59
:-D

#2 2021-01-10 06:00:25

Shahin
Administrator

Re: How do I access headless nanoDLP using a terminal

Yes it is simple and it seems you are doing it correctly.
Please, provide screenshot for both error type. The second one usually happens if you enter user/pass wrong. The second one is firewall issue.
How did you installed it? On the recent raspbians you need to enable SSH through raspi-config (which is already enabled if you used nanodlp sd card image from the website)

#3 2021-01-10 12:38:04

Jonners59

Shahin wrote:

Yes it is simple and it seems you are doing it correctly.
Please, provide screenshot for both error type. The second one usually happens if you enter user/pass wrong. The second one is firewall issue.
How did you installed it? On the recent raspbians you need to enable SSH through raspi-config (which is already enabled if you used nanodlp sd card image from the website)

So I first tried without following the Raspberry solution, see below, and then after it, but both gave me the same result:

Raspberry solution found here https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati … /README.md:

3. Enable SSH on a headless Raspberry Pi (add file to SD card on another machine)

For headless setup, SSH can be enabled by placing a file named ssh, without any extension, onto the boot partition of the SD card from another computer. When the Pi boots, it looks for the ssh file. If it is found, SSH is enabled and the file is deleted. The content of the file does not matter; it could contain text, or nothing at all.

If you have loaded Raspberry Pi OS onto a blank SD card, you will have two partitions. The first one, which is the smaller one, is the boot partition. Place the file into this one.

Screenshot
https://photos.app.goo.gl/KndVZNo7EDWiHf4S9

"Firewall"  Who's, the nanoDLP?  I'll take a look at the router, but see no reason why it should be enabled.

Last edited by Jonners59 (2021-01-10 12:38:44)

Jonners59

#4 2021-01-11 05:28:21

Shahin
Administrator

SSH is not enabled or there is a network restriction.

#5 2021-01-11 09:44:52

Jonners59

OK, so HOW do I enable SSH on the Pi?  I tried it straight off, that didn't work.  I followed the Pi instructions, that didn't work.  And I am now told it is already built in to the nanoDLP, but that doesn't work, so, please, how?  WHat do I need to do?

Jonners59

#6 2021-01-11 11:04:29

Shahin
Administrator

If you have enabled it through pi instructions. The issue the most probably caused by network.

#7 2021-01-11 11:53:08

Jonners59

Shahin wrote:

If you have enabled it through pi instructions. The issue the most probably caused by network.

Well, we assume it is enabled.  Nowhere is there any tick this box to enable...  When I check the SSL file Pi suggests adding it is still blank after boot, and Pi suggests that it will be replaced with a key PROVIDED a password has been set (which is the SSL enabler).  But I have set passwords in every box that says add a password on the Settings -> Security just to make this work.  It all seems a bit hit and miss TBH.  Should be a simple selection in Settings and password added - with a warning of security, of course.  ANd maybe some form of test it is working and even a loop test to check any network errors/issues.

I feel stuck now.  I know there is nothing on the LAN, I have checked all SSL is not filtered...

Jonners59

#8 2021-01-12 18:55:24

Shahin
Administrator

Try another router or even make ip static connect pi directly to PC, see if the SSH works or not.

#9 2021-01-13 12:53:55

Jonners59

Shahin wrote:

Try another router or even make ip static connect pi directly to PC, see if the SSH works or not.

Shahin
I am having a NIGHTMARE time here.  The printer crashed on me during a test print and locked the SDCard which is now useless.  SO created two new ones.  I installed the latest nano build and loaded it into the printer.  It booted OK, it asked me to set the distribution, which I did and now I can't get back in.  I tried pining and the printer is still there with it's fixed IP (set by the router), but using my laptop or PC and a browser I can not see it.  However.  When I ssh pi@192.168.1.26 I can log in using the raspberry pw...

So firstly, as I suspected there was nothing on the LAN before preventing SSH from working, it was all in the nano sw.  But now I can't get into the printer to do any work.  I have tried rebooting, both using

sudo shutdown now -h

something I learned using my PC (xfce) and hard power down when I can't get in via ssh.  On reboot there is no change.

I can't start on any of the other things I need to do.

Jonners59

#10 2021-01-15 13:10:39

Shahin
Administrator

Hmm are you using beta or stable build? I guess it is a particular build with bug.

#11 2021-01-15 14:09:05

Jonners59

Shahin wrote:

Hmm are you using beta or stable build? I guess it is a particular build with bug.

Stable, though on the SDCard I have working from my backup, SSH is also working, not that I have a clue as to what to do with it :-D -YET!

Although it would be useful to get a solution to this in case anyone else has the trouble, but it seems that my rebuild sorted it - on one SDCard at least.

Jonners59

Board footer