You are not logged in.

#1 2020-04-17 05:23:39

Klatu

Converting a Proniks 2150 to run with Marlin/NanoDLP

Hello everyone,
I was given a very battered KLD2150 that apparently was shipped to a colleague and arrived with a broken screen, broken lid, did not communicate with the PC and hence never worked.
So I have sourced a replacement screen and after fixing some mechanical issues and improving the intensity of the leds I felt I was ready to test the function of the machine.
This unit has two boards 1. A raspberry Pi 2 and 2. a RAMPS type board which from my trawling through posts i have gathered is a MEGA 2560
I have read a great deal about the Marlin firmware in this forum (I use it with my FDM printer) so I would like to use it with this printer as well.  However I do have some confusion arising from the many versions and download links I have encountered.
So far I think that that there are "custom" NanoDLP builds for different printers and there are custom firmware versions for those printer as well (Is it the case that a specific firmware/software pair goes with each machine?)
I ask because I would like to ensure that I have the right combination for my board types.  I could swap the control board for a current Ramps but i figure why go there when the present board does respond and loads the firmware without issue (at least that is what the Arduino IDE says.
I would really like to have some clarity around the firmware question and whether it is simply a case of loading a generic NanDLP image and then importing the appropriate machine/printer profiles. Thanks for any advice you can give!

P.S.  I have already tested the Raspberry Pi with NanoDLP and this works well over the browser.  What perplexes me is what machine/settings files to use with what firmware. 
Tonight I'll try Pronter with the RAMPS board to see if I get any grunts out of the motor and whether the LEDS light up. Fingers crossed...

Last edited by Klatu (2020-04-17 05:40:14)

#2 2020-04-17 09:24:53

Shahin
Administrator

Re: Converting a Proniks 2150 to run with Marlin/NanoDLP

Builds only defer on settings and have minor differences.

#3 2020-04-17 17:44:48

Sint

Just connect RAMPS board to Raspberry and run NanoDLP. Select generic version and put all the right values in the settings menu. The non generic versions have machine/brand specific settings. Like Z-axis length etc preset for that machine.

One thing to keep in mind is if you dont have Z end stops the machine must have the values on the ramps board. Otherwise it will either crash in to LCD or run of the top end.Just try it end keep 1 hand on the power supply and pull the plug if you need to. That is how I tested my machine. Which is a homebuild 4K dlp printer.

#4 2020-04-18 00:36:53

Klatu

Sint wrote:

Just connect RAMPS board to Raspberry and run NanoDLP. Select generic version and put all the right values in the settings menu. The non generic versions have machine/brand specific settings. Like Z-axis length etc preset for that machine.

One thing to keep in mind is if you dont have Z end stops the machine must have the values on the ramps board. Otherwise it will either crash in to LCD or run of the top end.Just try it end keep 1 hand on the power supply and pull the plug if you need to. That is how I tested my machine. Which is a homebuild 4K dlp printer.

Thanks for replying, your help is is very much appreciated.

From my trawling around the forums it appears that there are custom versions of NanoDLP/Firmware for Wanhao, Muve and a number of Firmware builds for specific Z axis types as you have already said.  But I notice that on the repo page there are Machine setting and profiles for a number of printers (including the KLD2150) - so I figured I would try those files with a generic NanoDLP install.

I was unable totest the ramps with pronterface last night so I will be proceeding with this work today. I'll report outcomes later.

Thank you all, stay safe.

Board footer