You are not logged in.

#1 2019-11-08 18:25:47

macdarren

Inverse Dimming

I am not sure this feature will really achieve what I want but it seemed like an easy thing to test in nanoDLP with a small tweak.

Currently dimming is implemented by dimming the interior of the model while leaving some full brightness rings around the edges.
This works as intended and can be a handy feature especially for figurines etc.

I tend to make industrial parts...they are revised many times as a project comes together....having a 3d printer really helps.
Often the parts must fit other components in the design that are not printed (maybe machined or cast metal parts) or are printed on another machine.
Think bolts fitting in threaded parts or simmilar.
I would love my printed parts to be as close to the final CNCed part as possible.

What I find is that printed parts need fudging or clearancing to fit well.
Currently dimming can help on certain parts.
Basically it results in a hard fully cured perimeter.

What I am thinking about is just the opposite....a way to have a hard structure inside (a skeleton) with a slightly less cured outer surface.
This might allow me to fit parts before final cure...a metal bolt can cut a nice thread in the softer part without cracking or general damage.
Same for a nut fit over a printed shaft or things that need a tight pressure fit etc.  The printed part can be fitted to it's related parts and to get
the right fit before being final cured for strength.....hoping shrinkage at this point will be limited and partly controlled by inner fully cured skeleton.

So the feature is simple a check box or something that reverses how dimming is done....allow the inside to cure but soften the outer rings via dimming...

Again not sure this would work or be helpful in this or any other situation but it seems like an easy add and we can test to see if it is worth keeping.

#2 2019-11-08 18:59:56

Shahin
Administrator

Re: Inverse Dimming

It is difficult to add. Not that it easier to add but it would be nice to upload single STL and print it with different erode settings and sizes.

Maybe if you use shorter cure time without dimming you could achieve the same result.

#3 2019-11-08 19:17:06

macdarren

Re: Inverse Dimming

ok....I have considered a variety of fixes but I thought that inverse dim would be a simple thing...but if it is a hard add then oh well.
Erosion helps but is an issue as it is difficult to tune and tends to eat threads....
I am experimenting with dimming/cure times now.

Board footer