You are not logged in.

#1 2019-09-07 17:51:47

macdarren

Phrozen upgrade....

So I have been running my Phrozen ShuffleXL for some time using the latest builds of nanoDLP.
This is totally unsupported my Phrozen...I wish they would release an updated Pi image file.

Since this seems to be wishful thinking I am wondering could some one provide some instructions on how I might go about doing it myself.

I know the Raspian release on the embeded Pi is old and I would like to move to the newest one even though the nanoDLP
developer has kept nanoDLP compatible for now.

My key thing is now that nextion displays are supported natively how can I keep either the phrozen code for the built in display
or some other similar touch screen code working if I build a fresh Pi and install nanoDLP.

I know how to keep my profiles and plates....but I suspect if I just copied over the entire 'printer' directory somethings might not work.

I expect I could just 'try it and see' but prefer not to waste the time with trial an error and I admit I don't know that much about this.
I have modded the printer to get the flash card in and out easier.

My motivation for this is that most of the time updating my nanoDLP rev which I do regularly to stay up with the latest features and fixes
generally results in my printer freezing up and then I have to powercycle and then often that seems to result in a corrupted flash which I then have to spend time to get it working again..sometimes a complete reflash which is slow.

Looking at some of the other Nextion NanoDLP setups I am sure this is possible but what I find is too scattered for me to follow and I am not sure exactely what I am looking at inside for the hardware inside the Printer and how it compares to what others are doing.

So can anyone help or point me to a site where maybe this has been done....I will probably cross post this to a Phrozen forum.

TIA

P.S. for now I would be happy if my Pi didn't just crash up update...but I am guessing it has to do with something special about the phrozen setup...does nanoDLP still use the 'update.sh' script to do updates...maybe I could add a line to force a cleaner reboot at least....it doesn't seem to contain any relaunch code presently so I am not sure how the main app gets running again after replacement...or why my system crashes hard after the download and code update...but it does.

#2 2019-09-08 04:57:07

Shahin
Administrator

Re: Phrozen upgrade....

Copying plates and db folders are enough to move settings and plates. On phrozen still tibus being used for touch so your screen might not work after upgrade.
There is no custom version of nanodlp out there, all modifications by manufacturers cosmetics or OS level (Which I have not seen anyone doing so)

#3 2019-09-08 14:04:36

macdarren

touch screen continues to work after manual nanoDLP upgrades, at least so far.
I don't know how it is hooked into the system (tibus whatever that is..I will look it up)
Perhaps this tibus (PiBus?) hookup is why my Pi crashes when doing update (interestingly i can reboot it from touch the screen sometimes)

Does nanoDLP still use the update.sh script to do the upgrades?  I know something about upgrading has changed over the last year.

D

Last edited by macdarren (2019-09-09 05:09:35)

#4 2019-09-09 08:14:04

Shahin
Administrator

update.sh also works but it become internal procedure in order to have same behavior across all platforms.

#5 2019-09-09 18:51:11

macdarren

So my question is if I click update to latest beta from the web GUI will it execute update.sh?
If it does then maybe I can modify script so that it will do the upgrade and gracefully reboot my pi?
Or maybe will have to execute it from a terminal window...less convenient but if it doesn't crash or allows reboot at least that would be better than rebuilding my flash card every couple weeks..a casual look says update.sh requires some parameters so I would need those.

Thanks for the help...I know this is a bit out of scope being a customized version but Phrozen is no help at all.
I like the Phrosen hardware but I like keeping up with nanoDLP as it is constantly getting better.

Darren

#6 2019-09-09 19:05:55

Shahin
Administrator

No it does not run update.sh but both will do same, at-least for now.
Most of the times (99%) binary file and templates,public folders will be enough to update even manually.

#7 2019-10-10 05:21:08

4lathe

@macdarren did you ever get this working?

#8 2019-10-10 21:40:59

3Simplex

@macdarren & @4lathe

I'm also interested. I tried to SSH into the system to poke around, I haven't found a root or admin account password to enter. SSH is enabled so that's lucky, I just need to get through the login prompt.

#9 2019-10-10 23:10:43

macdarren

I got things working (actually they have been for some time) although I have intermittent issues when doing updates.
First thing I did was duplicate the flash card and change the root and user passwords.
Some recent tweaks seem to have solved my update / reboot / hang issues but I will reserve judgement until after the next update.

#10 2019-10-10 23:22:10

macdarren

also for those of you doing the phrozen to newer nano release update I recommend looking at the bottom of this topic.
https://www.nanodlp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=1953
I can't say with 100% certainty but this seems to have fixed my main issue with the migration to newer version which is that upgrades and restarts hang my Pi.
Quick and easy and reversible and probably won't hurt.  Now if I could only get the newer button look on my plate screen...I used to have them but somehow
they went away while 'fixing' something and I haven't found a way to get them back....not a big deal and I am told some people prefer the older buttons anyway.

#11 2019-10-11 01:08:23

4lathe

@macdarren did you update the version of raspbian too?

#12 2019-10-11 03:09:32

macdarren

no pretty sure I did not,  I use what came on my Shuffle XL which is about a year old now...which is version 8 Jessie

#13 2019-10-11 19:37:41

4lathe

@macdarren shouldn't you be able to just  sudo update the pi if you can login?

Board footer