You are not logged in.

#1 2019-05-10 01:40:02

PhiMX

Marlin or grbl or direct

Hi,

what would you guys suggest to a new user?
I mean, I heared that direct stepper control is really bad and brings quality issues because of the non-realtime nature of the raspberry pi.
So I wonder why this is still supported and people still use it? Or is it not as bad as I was told?
Then, regarding marlin and grbl, which versions would work? Do the current official versions just work out of the box with the right configs?
Are there config examples for nanodlp?
And why is there no real guide on this topic?

best regards

#2 2019-05-10 05:10:45

Shahin
Administrator

Re: Marlin or grbl or direct

Direct control is not bad as you think, you just need to lower speed to get perfect result. But still it sounds strange.

Marlin has official nanodlp support, just need to enable it through its configuration.

#3 2019-05-10 08:51:47

PhiMX

Dear Shahin, thank you for your quick answers.
So marlin it will be. I might try out direct control later but i first need to build a pcb, but I have a ramps now.

Marlin has a define in configuration_adv.h called NANODLP_Z_SYNC, is that only what is needed to have nanodlp support?
I think that marlin freaks out a little when it does not have any temperatures to read out, so I guess that also needs to be disabled somewhere.
Is there no documentation of what needs to be done in order to have marlin working? I looked here in the forum, but other than bits here and there,
all for vastly different versions of marlin I could not find anything useful.
Could you maybe point me to a config you are using, and I would then change it to support my printer? Maybe a sample config would be useful for anybody.

best regards

#4 2019-05-10 10:12:07

PhiMX

OK, got it working by mostly using the default marlin of the current official github version.
By working I mean, motor and endstop work and I can control it through NanoDLP.

Two questions remain at the moment, and that is first, how is the LED lamp controlled?
By shutter, in my case that is the UV LEDs, right? I heared somewhere that this is achieved by
wiring the lamp to the RAMPS Fan output. Do I need to configure this?
I can send M106 through the RAMPS terminal which turns the LED on, but when I go to Projector Calibration
and I push the shutter open/close buttons, nothing happens.
I haven´t tried what happens during print, but is this controlled at some place?

Second, is Z synchronization. I have enabled it in marlin, now I read that I should use G1 Z1.1 [[WaitForDoneMessage]]
but, where do I enter this?

Last edited by PhiMX (2019-05-10 11:22:47)

Board footer