You are not logged in.

#1 2019-05-08 00:37:21

macdarren

variable cure times....Possibly overkill feature

I don't know if this is practical or how to implement it exactly but a feature I think might be useful is some way for the dynamic cure times to adjust
cure on particular features....the result would be two or more exposures for a single layer....kinda how I think the calibration plate must work.

Where this might be needed, is when I tune in my cure times I usually do it one of two ways...one I tune for success on small features like thin vertical rods or I tune for good dimensional accuracy on bulky parts.
Helping this is the new erode function and AA functions which help keep dimensions close.  What I find however is that if I tune so that thin parts are right then thicker parts end up over cured.
If I tune for thicker parts then thin features fail to cure well and fail or break.

Dynamic cure helps a bit here by allowing cure layers to be based on certain features found on a specific layer but it affects the entire layer so if it works for the [[SmallestArea]] parts it over does the larger areas.

I wonder if it would be possible for NanoDLP to somehow have the ability to have 2 or more exposures for the same layer....something like a minimum cure time for [[LargestArea]]s and a maximum cure time for the [[SmallestAreas]]
and maybe some sort of a linear interpolation for the areas and cure times between...basically this will look more like a video stream where large areas fade out before the small ones.

Seems like a rather big change in approach...moving from discrete exposures to a stream of exposures, but maybe a short stream of 2 or three or something like whatever the calibration plate does might not be too massive to implement.
I don't think we need a huge range here .... my tests tell me that about doubling the cure time between the smaller features and largest ones covers it...more time just is never enough and you still need at least 5+ even on the biggest brightest plates to get a decent cure.
For my Phrozen XL something on the order of 6-12 seconds using a resin that a typical cure time of 8 does it...maybe that 12 could go higher for some really fine structures but any less than 6 and most things start to fail.

Another case where this is handy is I like to have very fine supports so they remove cleanly but also I need a large number of them packed close for strength on bulky parts with large cross-sections...but this model can't be over-cured or various mating parts have to be reworked.
A feature like this would allow me to use minimal cure times for the model itself so it doesn't loose detail and dimensional accuracy but would allow nice long fully cured supports.

Well that is my thought for the day....

Thanks for the wonderful software!!

Last edited by macdarren (2019-05-08 00:43:28)

#2 2019-05-08 11:00:24

Shahin
Administrator

Re: variable cure times....Possibly overkill feature

It is already supported internally, but need polishing in UI part. Also considering current state of NanoDLP I do not think kind of feature will be used much by users. (I bet it will be used 1% of user or less)

#3 2019-05-08 23:15:00

macdarren

I think it would not be widely used unless it is especially well implemented....maybe with some reasonable presets...

I imagine it could almost be an automated thing where it is just enabled and there are two cure times (min and max) instead of one and it just adjusts things based on the large and small structures on the plate.
In this sort of situation it might get used by almost everyone .... if it just worked and took no real effort to use...like AA....

How useful it might be is a good question but in the case I outline above where alot of fine support is needed then it might be one of those
features that allowed nanoDLP to be a cut above where it can print something that other software could not....or at least print it better as it could enable those fine supports that other apps would need longer
cure times and thus blow out the features or make supports harder to remove.

This is sorta akin to being able to dynamically control laser power on a SLA/SLS machine.
Might also be useful as the underpinnings of some sort of near continuous exposure system if used with the right hardware.

I guess put it on the pile of: "nice to have if you ever get time to implement it"

#4 2019-05-20 15:35:11

Doug

can exposure time be changed by layer?
like this;
Capture.png

#5 2019-05-20 20:49:13

Shahin
Administrator

Doug,
You can already do it using dynamic cure time, what Darren talking about is to have different cure time for different section of the same layer.

#6 2019-05-21 13:31:04

Doug

Shahin wrote:

Doug,
You can already do it using dynamic cure time, what Darren talking about is to have different cure time for different section of the same layer.

I meant a easy way to do that, its will be very helpful for resin calibration more, severals time for same spot in the printer.

Board footer