You are not logged in.

#1 2019-04-03 14:26:09

macdarren

Low Quality Layers Not working

I may have hit a bug in the  Low Quality Layers feature.
I haven't ever used this before so possible it is user error.
NanoDLP versions (w/ remote slicer). Pi:2125 Linux:2127. (usually they are only one different but I think they are both the latest)

I don't typically use this feature but had a model with a raft and some support that were a significant part of the Z height, so I thought I would try it.
Initially I sliced with Low Quality turned off, and all was fine.  (.050mm layer - 9s/layer)
Then from the plate screen I edited the plate to use 80 low quality layers and re-generated the plate.

When previewing I see that the heights of the LQ layers do not change (baed on G-code) and the cure times for just those layers goes to zero.
All other layers including burnin layers seem fine.
What I expected was to see the code shift to .1mm layers and the cure time in increase somewhat (not sure how expected something like 14-18 seconds maybe)
Perhaps this is done in some post generation process or at print time using the zero cure as an indicator to skip layers but I expected that would show in the preview.
I did wait some time to see if it ever changed similar to the hollowing process but I never saw it or any indication in the logs.

I chose not to risk the print and regenerated without the LQ feature, so I don't know if it would have worked or not.

#2 2019-04-04 16:49:18

Shahin
Administrator

Re: Low Quality Layers Not working

Low quality layers does not effect slicing as it does still slice layers but skip them during printing.
Are you sure you have entered required cure time for jump layers?

#3 2019-04-04 18:25:09

macdarren

I assume you meant LQ cure time not Jump Layer cure time.....

I did not realize that there was a place in the resin profile to specify the LQ cure time....I thought it was computed....since I only spcified this in the plate setup not the resin profile....I presume the plate setup overides the LQ layers in the profile?  So I could just use one profile but the plate setting would determine if I wanted LQ layers or now.

By specifying 15 in the LQ cure time box in the profile I now see the cure time shown in the preview...however the G_code shows that the commands still move in .05 layer increments...so  I guess that means the print engine will just not send every other layer?

Last edited by macdarren (2019-04-04 18:28:31)

#4 2019-04-05 08:17:03

Shahin
Administrator

It is not possible to compute it as highly depend on resin chemicals and usually cure time is not linear.
Yes, it is working exactly as you described.

Are you sure movement being controlled by nanodlp? I means if height hard-coded it would not work. Also try absolute mode maybe there is a issue with relative mode.

#5 2019-04-05 17:47:03

macdarren

not sure I understand you last question/sentence...

Yes movement is controlled by nano...via gcode...sent to ardunio control board, which moves the Z axis...not sure what relative vs absolute mode is in this context.

When I get a chance I will run a test using some LQ layers with the print plate removed just to see how it actually moves and what code is sent to the arduino and what is displayed on the vat floor.

Seems like everthing works (otherwise others would have had problems) but my understanding of what is going on and what is supposed to happen is lacking.

#6 2019-04-05 19:18:10

Shahin
Administrator

Share your debug file, it depends on how you used gcode.

Board footer