You are not logged in.

#1 2019-03-23 00:06:55

macdarren

Add Print/Movement lockout....

I frequently start my prints from a remote location.

I think it would be handy if the Dashboard and maybe the Plate screen had a button to unlock the printer.

What would lock the printer...that is the new feature..when a Print finishes or actually even it it just starts but doesn't finish (or maybe on first cure)
the printer would enter lock mode where no new automated motion, like a print could then be started until the printer is unlocked.

This might seem like a pain, and so maybe it should be an option one enables or maybe it is a command added somewhere in the script panes, but the point is once something
is cured on the plate you don't want the plate to return to the vat floor or even move down toward it until the plate is cleared or risk damage to the FEP/LCD/Drive system etc.

I guess there is a power off when complete option I have seen but that is not good for me, as I want to keep the nano app and slicer active
to prepare new jobs but I don't want to accidentally push print or a motion button and slam my print into the floor, and being old I sometimes
forget the status of the plate when I am not right there looking at it.....maybe instead of a lock a small warning banner that indicates the
printer believes there is something on the plate....currently it does double check before starting which is good -- If I know know the state ..
really a camera view of the plate might be the solution but I haven't figured out how to get one mounted in a way I can live with.

#2 2019-03-23 11:36:14

charliehappyy

Re: Add Print/Movement lockout....

Hello,I also think this way.

#3 2019-04-07 14:09:00

bootdsc

Once a print job has been ran all the way through or aborted, the printer should be locked and require pressing a in menu or physical button to unlock. This would be very helpful to prevent accidents, it's easy to press the wrong thing when using nanodlp in a android phone web browser.

#4 2019-04-07 21:06:28

Shahin
Administrator

During printing only stop and pause buttons are working.

#5 2019-04-08 20:38:14

macdarren

yes but what I was looking for was once the print has been started and even after it has paused, stopped or completed no further mechanical downward movement functions...buttons, Gcode, starting a new print would be possible without  manually resetting a lock to verify the plate was clear.

Where this is useful is if you are not near the printer, or even if you are and you start something but don't recall if it finished or was aborted our what there is a chance there is something on the bed or in the vat...once the UV has activated the first time the cleanness of the bed or vat is unknown...so the motion control should lock out any manual functions, including a new print until the user verifies vat and plate etc and manually unlocks the printer for next use...or at least a banner should show up indicating the unknown state and the banner must be dismissed by user...

Not a big deal and the system provides similar function already..this is sort of an implementation change where it doesn't just give blind warning but instead warns in a very strong way once it knows there is a possible issue.

Again way down on the list of features to add...:)

#6 2019-04-09 02:12:13

Yianni-VJ

This is an interesting feature request, I am sure it will be useful but please make it an optional choice.

I also start prints from a remote location, I use VPN for an added layer of security. This ability had a tremendous increase in my productivity. The stability of nanoDLP made this possible so far.

To try to overcome starting a print on "dirty" printer I use the simple habit of always prepping the printer before I clean models, no matter how pressed for time I may be.

#7 2019-04-09 03:35:02

macdarren

Agree this should be optional....and I also use the VPN and a similar prep policy for my remote print jobs.

#8 2019-04-09 04:27:56

Shahin
Administrator

Also it is possible to add feedback screen at the end of print, so users will give feedback on success or failure of the print it is also reminder to cleanup the printer. (We need stat page to display them on nanodlp)
But what make these features not worthwhile is such api change will broke lots of nanodlp integration.

#9 2019-04-10 01:55:32

Yianni-VJ

I was thinking about the feature request and I now would very much like to have it smile

I understand the problem of putting too much in the touch screen and possibly breaking things, plus some people might not need a touch screen at all. I was without for almost 2 years and it did not bother me.

The common ground might be a physical button connected to GPIO.
An illuminated button would be best, although it would require 2 GPIOs in total.
Light off= Ready to print
Light on= Print completed - unable to start another print.
Last but not least: being able to "push" the physical button via custom button command.
I think nanoDLP has already the lockout functionality implemented, so maybe it's not too difficult to do.

Oh and about feedback screen, please dont...
Ember had it and it was a pain in the ass, also the feeling that Autodesk was collecting my answers made the whole experience suck.

Last edited by Yianni-VJ (2019-04-10 01:58:06)

#10 2019-04-10 18:13:32

macdarren

I concur the data gathering should be optional...I have another system that does that and it is annoying and I suspect of limited value to whomever gets the data.

Also I agree the plate lock should be optional as well so as to not break things....

And while a physcial button might be nice I would also request a soft button....the dashboard screen on the web browser is not terrible cluttered.
Maybe on a small build in type touch screen it would be, but on a computer it seems like it would fit fine.

#11 2019-04-11 19:28:35

Shahin
Administrator

Collecting data right now is not much useful, but in future it is possible to prevent failures using collected data and feed it to AI.

Board footer