You are not logged in.

#1 2019-03-12 23:04:05

macdarren

Burn-In Reverse Dimming....

I think I asked about something similar before in combating the 'elephant foot' issues with prints may right on the plate.

First I have to say I have been working with varying lift speeds and as a result I use a very slow peel stage followed but a faster lift stage, so this might not be for everyone.
I will post that code once I am happy with it, for others.

With my slow peeling  have been testing what I call 'reverse dimming'...right now it is a painful manual process...maybe there is a way to automate but I haven't worked that out.

Basically what I am doing results in something like the dimming feature, but I apply it only to the Burn-in layers.

I gray out the the edges on the burnin layers...this reduces the elephant foot (light spreading) on the longer burnin but still gives a solid base for bed adhesion.

am sure this would not be a feature for everyone....
I think it could easily be implemented with a second set of parameters for Dimming but call them Burn-In Reverse Dimming, or maybe Burn-In Wall Dimming.
Then use the current algorithm that generates the Dimmed layers but invert it so the "wall around dimming" is the part that is dimmed while the rest kept at full brightness.
This process if selected should possibly override the normal dimming on burnin layers or use the 'skip dimming features' on both so they do not overlap....
The results might be odd if they do.

I do think you will need different dimming ratios for normal and burnin dimming and also wall thickness.
My current method shows promise but it is a pain to test so I have only done a limited number of runs.
I think a similar result could be achieved by using standard dimming on all layers but have the option to shift the wall in from the edge, but again you might not want that
on the normal layers so you would need a couple of parameters and still you would probably want different amounts of dimming.

Advantages of this reverse dimming are you get less elephant foot and I think also the print is maybe a bit easier to remove from the bed.

Disadvantages I can only guess but this would for sure be a problem with parts that do not have alot of surface on the burnin layers
Also the soft edges might promote peeling and print detachment...although it seems okay so far with my slow peel and the large first layer models I use this on.

#2 2019-03-13 05:03:04

Shahin
Administrator

Re: Burn-In Reverse Dimming....

I am not sure about this one, maybe we need a flexible processor for layers which could post process them based on user defined rules.

#3 2021-02-26 20:00:12

Shahin
Administrator

Re: Burn-In Reverse Dimming....

Added on the latest beta.

Board footer