You are not logged in.

#1 2019-02-21 18:50:17

Bx3mE

Cant stop the current task DirectDrive NanoDLP Shield

I guess this issue has been around and might even be by design but very often i start a print and while homing i notice i have forgotten something and want to stop the printer. This is not possible as it seems that any move given to the stepper will need to complete before prosessing an abort.

One example: I have a very long Zaxis and it takes about 2minutes to measure z-axis length. If i do a measure i can just manually control Z to move 1mm and it will stop but if i make a long (in error) move as part of the printing process it can not be aborted. Only thing i can do is disable stepper driver and powercycle. Can this be fixed? Also it would help to be able to set speed in UI on the manual control screen as skipping steps is not an issue if i want to just move the printbed out of the way.

#2 2019-02-22 08:10:07

Shahin
Administrator

Re: Cant stop the current task DirectDrive NanoDLP Shield

It is by design, adding new condition check during pulse generation, will slow down whole process.

#3 2019-02-22 20:03:13

Bx3mE

What would be the cost? It would be a great improvement in usabillity to have this because now I have to restart every time this ocurrs and i rather have someting a bit slower than something i can not trust. Endstops, stop and abort are essential for me during any mechanical move. It would be enough to have a check every 1000 pulses but i dont know how the code is built and if that would be possible. What are the options to fix this? Would it be possible to select in a config one of two routines shall be used and have one slower with checks and one faster without. That way both criteria are met... I will have to rip out the NanoDLP Shield and have a separate controller if this persists ans i cannot trust anyone in the family to use it without some check.

I undersatnd you and see if you choose against, which is why I´d prefer an OpenSource solution... But hey I´d rather have this than noting at all smile

Last edited by Bx3mE (2019-02-22 20:09:46)

#4 2019-02-22 21:33:33

Shahin
Administrator

From performance perspective direct control is borderline usable. It will miss steps more easily if we keep adding things there. Maybe if we could generate pulses through DMA, we could implement the additional check.

#5 2019-02-23 18:46:14

Bx3mE

Shahin wrote:

From performance perspective direct control is borderline usable. It will miss steps more easily if we keep adding things there. Maybe if we could generate pulses through DMA, we could implement the additional check.

You mean like this? https://github.com/Wallacoloo/printipi/ … oped_q=DMA

#6 2019-02-25 04:35:10

Shahin
Administrator

Exactly, but using that also will have own difficulties. As program would not have much control over DMA. Additional checks would not be exact. For example if limit switch get touched you can only guess which step it has been touched.

#7 2019-02-25 14:03:31

Bx3mE

Right.... I think that the Reprap way is inevitable for me then. Thanks for your efforts!

Board footer