You are not logged in.

#1 2019-01-31 01:23:36

macdarren

Help with Hollowing and Hex Infill

I am trying to do a fairly wide thin hex infill on a part as I want it lite but still somewhat strong.
However I also want the perimeters like the outside walls and walls around holes to be somewhat thick for sanding and drilling.

I thought I understood how the parameters work (I have to say I think they could be improved and renamed)
but now after a few trials I think maybe I am confused.

I thought the infill worked like hollowing but with hexed infill.....

My assumption was that "outer wall" parameter would be the variable to adjust to get thicker perimeters.
However it seems to have no effect.

The perimeter wall thickness seems to just follow the "wall size" variable which I expected
to only affect the inner hex infill walls not the outer walls...similar to the wall gap which I use to increase the coarseness of the hex grid.

Am I confused...is this operating as expected?  If so can I achieve my thin wide infill would some nice thick outer walls?  Or maybe something is
not working correctly?  I have two versions of nanoDLP but both seem to operate the same...so I think maybe I do not fully understand the parameters.

Thanks
Darren

#2 2019-01-31 17:01:37

Shahin
Administrator

Re: Help with Hollowing and Hex Infill

Please, suggest better names for parameters.

Your assumptions are correct. And bug cause program ignore high outer wall. Will push update tomorrow.

#3 2019-01-31 22:41:51

macdarren

"outer wall" is okay now that I know it is supposed to work as I thought but just didn't....though I might use "perimeter width or thickness" as that is what other slicers use.
"wall size" is too vague....maybe "infill wall thickness".  The real issue is maybe how infill is specified....I would maybe go with a percentage but I do like having total control of both the wall thickness and open space
between walls, now that I understand how it is supposed to work....maybe call the other parameter "infill pattern size"

On a side note I use a linux machine for my remote slicer...it says there is an update available but has no builtin update I can find (actually it generally seems to be missing much of the interface I see on the Pi)
Is there an easy way to update to the latest development build....I got the latest from the download page but it is the same that I have installed..maybe I need to look at a Raspian distribution for my linux box but prefer not to change that.

#4 2019-02-01 18:02:12

Shahin
Administrator

nanodlp desktop version used by few people so it is not worth developing update mechanism. Will update desktop versions shortly.

By the way nanosupport has integrated slicer which slice and push it to nanodlp.

#5 2019-02-01 19:56:17

macdarren

Okay thanks I will look for the nanodlp desktop version update .... I too only use it as a remote slicer so as long as I keep on top of it doing a download to update is not a big deal.
I do wish there was more update info available...like webpage or something that shows the latest release and beta versions and when they were posted, and maybe a bullet point list of changes.
It doesn't have to exhaustive just something to know when I have the latest and if a particular change might have been implemented.....I think I recall this was on the Pi version though
since I have started using a Phrozen printer I can't see that....I am considering giving up the Phrozen code and on printer control to use a real nanoDLP releases.

Oh and I have been playing with the Mac version of the nanosupport application but until auto support works I have to use another program for that purpose.
Look forward to not having to do that and just having a simple step or at least a single tool family to drive my printers.

I use Astrobox/Astroprint for the FDM machines...you might look at their model as a guide..they started with a pi box to drive a printer and have developed
it into a web based system that is pretty good ... They are also doing a mobil app and full computer application but I think the web method is the way to go...it is not dis-similar to how
nanoDLP has been implemented.

Thanks for all the work
Darren

Last edited by macdarren (2019-02-01 20:09:44)

Board footer