You are not logged in.

#1 2016-07-19 00:16:54

Ontron258

Can't get Pi and Ramps 1.4 to communicate

Hello, and thanks in advance.

Just started building my nanoDLP top down printer and got all my hardware in. I've got a Pi 2 B, nock-off Arduino and Ramps 1.4 (from China).
I have the pi set up and can visit its webpage so I don't think that's a problem.
The arduino, ramps, stepper driver, and motor all work and I've tested them using this little program:
http://reprap.org/mediawiki/images/3/34 … stCode.pde

After setting the arduino up with Marlin (found here: https://github.com/MarlinFirmware/Marlin) and plugging it into the Pi via USB I cannot move the motor manually using the buttons found on the Z-Axis calibration page.
From what I can gather I've done everything correctly.

Any obvious things I'm missing? It seemed too easy for it to work properly first go-around.

Thanks,
Ontron258

#2 2016-07-19 01:24:05

Shahin
Administrator

Re: Can't get Pi and Ramps 1.4 to communicate

Have you entered correct RAMPS board path on the setup page?
Also you need to disable gpio for the movements.

#3 2016-07-29 23:22:43

orlrogc

Ontron, did you find a solution? I am having the same problem.

*I have verified that my RAMPS is working when I send gcode with another printer host.
*I can successfully connect to my RPi (I tried both a 2 and 3).
*The RAMPS board path is correctly set and I disabled GPIO.

I can't see what I'm missing. Any advice? I'm sure it's something obvious. Haha.

Thanks.

#4 2016-07-29 23:44:44

Ontron258

I did actually find a solution. I had the set the usb serial port on the Pi to the correct one. Apparently you can use putty to ssh to the Pi to find the correct port, but I couldn't get that to work. I tryed the "common" options in the drop-down menu and found one that just started working.
Check the log on the "home page" to see if the ramps board connects.

Hope this helps.

#5 2016-07-30 00:26:49

orlrogc

Thanks for your reply. My problem was I didn't notice I had accidentally left an extra space in front of my board path. Whoops. Your suggestion of checking the log helped me zero in on my silly mistake.

Thanks again.

Board footer