You are not logged in.

#1 2018-10-04 13:21:57

KRSO

Importance of tilt VAT

Hi. I'm about to make my own LCD SLA, and had it all planned until Prusa announced their new SLA printer. They chose to implement tilt VAT in addition to the FEP film. They claim that this will decrease the print time, decrease the chances of the print detaching the base, and increase the print quality.
I understand the print time and the detaching, but how will this affect the print quality?
If this will improve printing quality I'll consider implementing this feature. I have also seen someone making a passive tilt function by hinging the VAT on one side. Does this work or have any benefits? It doesn't seem very common.

When the FEP film is getting lifted it curves and detaches easier than a flat surface. Are there any benefits to using a S-curve trajectory on the Z axis to gently make the FEP film curve as much as possible against the inertia of the resin mass, before it detaches? I guess fast z axis lifting oppose the benefits of the FEP film?

Last edited by KRSO (2018-10-04 14:15:09)

#2 2018-10-04 18:20:01

Shahin
Administrator

Re: Importance of tilt VAT

I do think it has little to no benefit for FEP based VAT, but for VAT with hard floor having tilt is quite useful. Muve3D using the same tilt motion.

Any additional movement make it harder to print delicate pieces as resin cause movement on surfaces during movements. So less movement is ideal from quality perspective.

Board footer